KEMRI is a multidisciplinary Centre of specialized research capacities including the Centre for Virus Research, Centre for Respiratory Diseases Research, Centre for Traditional Medicines and Drug Research, Centre for Global Health Research (in Kisumu), Centre for Biotechnology, among others. All centres at KEMRI focus on research under four main programs, namely infectious disease programme, biotechnology and non-communicable diseases programme, parasitic diseases program and epidemiology and public health.
Kemri is therefore offering a chance to qualified candidates for a Postgraduate Diploma Program whose aim is to equip recent graduates with theoretical and practical knowledge of the philosophy and practice of research so as to enhance their transition to a research career or further postgraduate training.
DETAILS OF THE COURSE
The course covers all types of health research from basic biomedical research to social science and health system research and provides an opportunity for the students to develop a deep appreciation of the various elements of research through attachment in a highly active research environment.
LOCATION OF THE SCHOLARS
The students are physically located at the KWTRP facilities in Kilifi and Nairobi but are registered with Pwani University, Kilifi.
COURSE MODULES DETAILS
The course consists of ;
- taught sessions,
- a research project
- self-directed learning through participation in scientific meetings including seminars, and journal clubs.
- Each student is allocated to a researcher for both mentorship and supervision selected on the basis of having submitted a plan for a structured training in a particular research area.
- The three components run concurrently to enable the students complete the course within six months (January-June) and graduate within the same year (Normally between August – October depending in the University graduation schedule)
Assessment is through a written course and submission of a project report. Those who pass the assessment are issued with certificates during the Pwani University graduation ceremony.
- All cost for the training including registration and tuition fees are catered for by KWTRP.
- students receive a stipend to help them meet their accommodation and other living expenses.
- a rigorous recruitment process, and plan to fund about 15 students every year based at both KWTRP sites in Kilifi and Nairobi.
- Recruitment is in two stages:
- First, applications are invited from anyone who completed their undergraduate training in the previous two years. 100-150 applicants are selected to attend a Research Careers Day in Nairobi.
- The Careers Day involves talks and discussions on the research activities at KWTRP and PU and research as a career followed by a written exam which forms the basis for the second round of shortlisting.
- Subsequently, the top scoring candidates are invited for a face-to-face interview at either the Nairobi or Kilifi KWTRP offices depending on the student’s preferred project.
Please note: only successful candidates are contacted.
All application should be done online. Applicants will be required to register and after that login using the email address and password they used for registration in order to access the application form. If you need further information please email Interns@Kemri-wellcome.org .
NB: Emails directed to other addresses may be missed and go unanswered.
fOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT http://careers.kemri-wellcome.org/internships