Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Application Deadline : 21-Oct-14
Type of Contract : FTA Local
Post Level : GS-7
Languages Required : English
Duration of Initial Contract : One Year
Expected Duration of Assignment : One Year (with possibility of extension)
The situation in Somalia remains fragile with continued political instability, climatic variability, and lack of basic social services. OCHA’s role is to coordinate effective and principled inter-agency humanitarian response and ensure that relief assistance reaches the people who need it in a timely manner. In line with OCHA’s global mission, OCHA Somalia continues to:
- Advocate for access to basic services, especially water, sanitation, education and health for vulnerable communities, including the collection, analysis and dissemination of information to humanitarian partners, and negotiation of access;
- Support the government efforts and humanitarian organizations in relocation of internally displaced and return;
- Coordinate the implementation of humanitarian response in Somalia with UN agencies and programmes, national and international NGOs and local authorities/communities as appropriate, with focus on strengthening the cluster approach;
- Enhance a protective environment that respects the human rights of all, including IDPs, returnees and minority clans.
Under the overall guidance of the Information Management Officer, the, Geographical Information System Associate, will play a key role in ensuring the primary objectives of OCHA Somalia are met.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions
- Data Collection and Analysis;
- Mapping by providing GIS support;
- Preparation and update of Somali reference maps;
- Develop GIS and related info-graphic products for stakeholders;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and management;
- Knowledge Transfer.
Perform data collection and analysis, focusing on the following results
- Supports the Office in the collection of relevant information and data from key humanitarian partners, including Cluster Chairs, representatives of national governments, UN agencies, donors, local and international NGOs, in order to facilitate and maximize the exchange of information and data between humanitarian partners, and support the creation of appropriate information products for decision-making and humanitarian response;
- Promotes the collection, collation and standardization of baseline datasets. Compiles and disseminates these, in particular demographic and vulnerability data, in different formats (including GIS).
Provides mapping and GIS support, focusing on the achievement of the following results
- Provides GIS support to the Office in general and Clusters assisting in the development of appropriate maps to support humanitarian decision-making and reflect humanitarian response;
- Supports the maintenance of an inventory of UNOCHA produced maps and geo-datasets and, where possible, those available from other humanitarian partners.
Preparing and updating Reference Maps of Somalia focusing on the following results
- Produces and updates reference maps for Somalia based on available data;
- Prepares and maintains descriptive maps that provide inventory of local resources such as infrastructure;
- Manages the development, quality control and production of maps;
- Provides GIS information and maps in appropriate formats to be used in seminars and workshops.
Supporting the IMO in developing GIS and related info-graphic products for stakeholders focusing on the following results
- In close collaboration with the Information Management Officer, determines the primary data, mapping and info-graphic elements required internally and externally to support humanitarian decision making;
- Develops and maintains a client-oriented approach with all relevant stakeholders to help identify their mapping requirements to ensure that information and maps are relevant for planning;
- Regularly reviews and seeks feedback from clusters to regularly review product suitability.
Ensures Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge transfer, focusing on achievement of the following results
- Identifies and synthesizes best practices and lessons learned directly linked to the Office’s goals and activities;
- Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Provides training and advice to OCHA staff on Information Management issues and products;
- Regularly reviews and seeks feedback from clusters to regularly review product suitability;
- Provision of training and advice to OCHA staff and partners on mapping systems such as google earth, GPS.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the Country Office including improved business results and client services. Forward-looking ICT management has an impact on the organization of office management, knowledge sharing, and information provision.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems.
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in statistics or economics;
- University degree in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) or geometrics or economics, statistics or related fields with relevant experience is desirable but it is not a requirement.
- 7 years of relevant experience in data processing, analysis and mapping utilizing popular statistical and mapping software packages (e.g. ArcGIS/ SPSS etc.);
- Very good knowledge of graphic software e.g adobe illustrator, Photoshop e.t.c is required Knowledge of, database languages such as PHP and social media is a plus;
- Should have field experience in the use of GPS for mapping;
- Experience in managing and updating website content;
- Experience in management of data harmonization systems with special emphasis on data quality control;
- Familiarity with the UN system is desirable.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
For more information, please visit the official page