Deadline: December 26, 2014
Scholarship Provider: Government of Japan.
Applications are invited for up to 20 available UNESCO Fellowships to undertake postgraduate research in one of the four areas of development of particular interest to UNESCO. Research must be carried out under the auspices of an academic supervisor in a host institution. Candidates must be no more than 40 years of age and must be persons of high intellectual promise who may be expected to make significant contributions to their country on return. Priority attention will be given to women candidatures, candidates from least developed countries (LDCs) and African researchers. Selected beneficiaries will be required to submit an interim and a final report describing the results of the research undertaken.
- Candidates under this Programme must be post-graduate researchers, already holding either an M.A. or M.Sc. degree (or equivalent) and wishing to pursue research work abroad (preferably in their own region) with a view to enhancing knowledge in one of the four specific fields. Thus, those who are in the process of completing their Master’s degree must have completed it PRIOR to taking up their Fellowship.
- Candidates must be persons of high intellectual promise who may be expected to make significant contributions to their country on return.
- Candidates must be no more than 40 years of age. Thus, applicants born before 1 January 1975 will not be considered under the Programme.
- The selected Fellow must carry out the research under the auspices of an academic supervisor in a host institution. Confirmation of acceptance from the academic supervisor is imperative.
- Priority attention will be given to: Women candidatures, Candidates from least developed countries (LDCs) and African researchers
Candidates must be proficient in reading and writing the language of instruction in the proposed country of study/research.
The Fellowships financed by Japan and administered by UNESCO will consist of the following: A maximum amount between US$6,000 to US$10,000 will be awarded to selected candidates. The amount, to be paid in two or three instalments, is intended to cover research costs only, and will not be negotiable. No other costs will be considered and grants will be neither extended nor renewed.
Scholarship Open for International Students: UNESCO/JapanCandidates of Africa (Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Swaziland, Togo, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe), Arab States (Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Mauritania, Morocco, Palestine, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Tunisia and Yemen), Asia and the Pacific (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, Cook Islands, Federal States of Micronesia, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, Nieu, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu and Vietnam), Latin America and the Caribbean (Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Sarvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela), Europe and North America (Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Georgia, Republic of Moldova, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine) and Associate Member State (Tokelau) can apply for these UNESCO fellowships.