In 2014 Youth Beyond Disasters formed in partnership with the UNISDR to mobilize children and youth in the build up to the 3rd UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction. Through the mobilization, the network seeks to unify and build on the work of UNESCO, Eubios Ethics Institute, partner Universities, agencies and other people dedicated to taking simple steps to lessen the impact natural hazards like storms, fires, floods and earthquakes have on our communities.
The Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction will be held from 14 to 18 March 2015 in Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan. Several thousand participants are expected, including at related events linked to the World Conference under the umbrella of building the resilience of nations and communities to disasters.
The United Nations General Assembly Resolution for 2013 on International Strategy for Disaster Reduction states that the World Conference will result in a concise, focused, forward-looking, and action-oriented outcome document and will have the following objectives:
- To complete assessment and review of the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action;
- To consider the experience gained through the regional and national strategies/institutions and plans for disaster risk reduction and their recommendations as well as relevant regional agreements within the implementation of the Hyogo Framework of Action;
- To adopt a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction;
- To identify modalities of cooperation based on commitments to implement a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction; and
- To determine modalities to periodically review the implementation of a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction.
For more information visit here