Image Credits: Google
Deadline: 29 December 2014
Open to: international students in computer science or related technical field
Remuneration: paid internship
Google is currently hiring a Software Engineering intern who will be based in one of their largest global engineering centers in Sydney, Australia. The internship will last 12 weeks from May to September 2015. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
The responsibilities of this internship position are:
- Research, conceive and develop software applications to extend and improve on Google’s product offering.
- Contribute to a wide variety of projects utilizing natural language processing, artificial intelligence, data compression, machine learning and search technologies.
- Collaborate on scalability issues involving access to massive amounts of data and information.
- Solve all problems that come your way.
- The candidates must be currently pursing a Bachelor, Master or PhD in computer science or related technical field.
- Preferred qualifications:
-Experience in systems software or algorithms;
-Knowledge of UNIX/Linux or Windows environments and APIs;
-Familiarity with TCP/IP and network programming;
-Excellent C++, Java and/or Python skills.
The internship is paid although the salary is not specified.
Interested candidates must apply online HERE.
The deadline to apply is 29 December 2014.
For further information please visit the official call.
Application Deadline: September 10, 2014
Applications are now open for the WeTech Seed Fund for Women & Girls in Computer Science in Africa. The fund provides small grants, investing in nascent networks, organizations, social enterprises, as well as individual champions already taking impressive steps to support women and girls in computer science.
Grants will be issued in line with the financial experience and capacity of the organization or individual. Individuals, volunteer-led and smaller organizations are invited to apply for a grant between $2,000 to $5,000. Organizations with an annual operating budget of at least $25,000, or experience managing large grants, are invited to apply for funding between $5,000 to $20,000.
Grant applications will be reviewed and recommended by an independent panel of experts knowledgeable in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) content areas and/or applicant’s countries. Based on selection panel review, the WeTech team may propose modifications to the budget, requested amount and/or scope of the project. Winners of the WeTech Seed Fund grants are required to report quarterly on their progress, and actively participate in a virtual community comprised of fellow grantees.
The Seed Fund is a competitive process; nearly 100 applications were received during the first round application process earlier this year and 17 grants were issued.
- Applicant must be a current resident of an African country (including North and Sub-Saharan Africa)
- Applicant must be an individual working independently (at least 18 years of age), or a representative of a non-governmental organization (NGO), social enterprise or educational institution based in Africa
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate previous experience supporting women and girls in computer science or STEM fields
- Applicant must be committed to developing and contributing to a virtual community for WeTech Seed Fund grantees
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate leadership potential (reference letter will be required)
- Application must be submitted in English (Please note: planned activities may be conducted in ANY language
CRITERIA OF EVALUATION
Preference will be given to projects that demonstrate:
- A collaborative approach
- Plans for sustained engagement with women and girls involved in initial project activities
- An innovative use of technology
- Realistic plans for expansion and growth
- Volunteer-led organizations are encouraged to apply
For more information and how to apply Visits here