Deadline: 17 October 2014
Open to: international students who are enrolled as a full-time graduate students in the Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Mathematics
Scholarship: $15,000 (approx. €11,200) annual stipend and conference and travel allowance of $2,000 (approx. €1500)
Microsoft Research, created in 1991, employs computer scientists, physicists, engineers, and mathematicians to collaborate with academic, government, and industry researchers to advance the state of the art of computing, and solve difficult world problems through technological innovation.
The Microsoft Research Graduate Women’s Scholarship is a one-year scholarship program for outstanding women graduate students and is designed to help increase the number of women pursuing a PhD. This program supports women in the second year of their graduate studies. Women who are interested in this scholarship must apply during first year of graduate studies. The applications for 2015/2016 academic year are now open.
The Microsoft Research Graduate Women’s Scholarship Program is open to:
- Students who are enrolled as a full-time graduates students in the Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Mathematics department;
- Students who are enrolled in their first year in a graduate program in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or Bioinformatics/Information Science for academic year 2014–2015;
- Students who have already completed a two-year MS/MA degree or equivalent, providing they are enrolled in the first year of a PhD program.
In order to be eligible for the scholarship you must be nominated by your university, and nominations must be confirmed by the office of the chair of the department. A maximum of three applicants per department, per university will be accepted. A total of nine applicants total per university will be allowed.
The scholarship recipient award includes US$15,000 (approx. €11,200) for the 2015–2016 academic year. In addition a conference and travel allowance of US$2,000 (approx. €1500) is provided for recipients to attend a conference in their field of study.
Applications must be submitted online HERE and must include the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae;
- A copy of the student’s undergraduate transcript;
- Two letters of reference: one should come from the student’s graduate advisor and the other one from the student’s undergraduate advisor;
- A 500-word essay that describes their research interest and how this scholarship would enable their success.
All application materials must be submitted by the person designated as the application contact by the departmental chair’s office and must not be the applicant.
The deadline for applications is 17 October 2014. All applicants will be notified on or before 11 February 2015.
For further information please visit the official website.