Application Deadline: September 10, 2014
Applications are now open for the WeTech Seed Fund for Women & Girls in Computer Science in Africa. The fund provides small grants, investing in nascent networks, organizations, social enterprises, as well as individual champions already taking impressive steps to support women and girls in computer science.
Grants will be issued in line with the financial experience and capacity of the organization or individual. Individuals, volunteer-led and smaller organizations are invited to apply for a grant between $2,000 to $5,000. Organizations with an annual operating budget of at least $25,000, or experience managing large grants, are invited to apply for funding between $5,000 to $20,000.
Grant applications will be reviewed and recommended by an independent panel of experts knowledgeable in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) content areas and/or applicant’s countries. Based on selection panel review, the WeTech team may propose modifications to the budget, requested amount and/or scope of the project. Winners of the WeTech Seed Fund grants are required to report quarterly on their progress, and actively participate in a virtual community comprised of fellow grantees.
The Seed Fund is a competitive process; nearly 100 applications were received during the first round application process earlier this year and 17 grants were issued.
- Applicant must be a current resident of an African country (including North and Sub-Saharan Africa)
- Applicant must be an individual working independently (at least 18 years of age), or a representative of a non-governmental organization (NGO), social enterprise or educational institution based in Africa
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate previous experience supporting women and girls in computer science or STEM fields
- Applicant must be committed to developing and contributing to a virtual community for WeTech Seed Fund grantees
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate leadership potential (reference letter will be required)
- Application must be submitted in English (Please note: planned activities may be conducted in ANY language
CRITERIA OF EVALUATION
Preference will be given to projects that demonstrate:
- A collaborative approach
- Plans for sustained engagement with women and girls involved in initial project activities
- An innovative use of technology
- Realistic plans for expansion and growth
- Volunteer-led organizations are encouraged to apply
For more information and how to apply Visits here